When Brigadier General Stand Watie and Brigadier General Richard M. Gano moved their combined force of 2,300 Confederates southwest following their capture of the $1,500,000 Federal wagon train at the Cabin Creek ford on September 19, 1864, they were met later that same day by a strong force of Federal infantry and artillery.
Under the command of Colonel James M. Williams, the Federals had made a forced march of eighty-two miles in forty-six hours from Fort Gibson for the purpose of relieving the beleaguered wagon train, and now that it had been captured, set about to retrieve what remained of it. The first clash came at 11:00am, and skirmishing continued until dark, when the Confederates withdrew before the powerful Parrott artillery of the Federals. Colonel Williams bivouacked in combat formation on the field, but the Confederates withdrew during the night. Moving southwest, Watie and Gano crossed the Arkansas River at Tulsa, meantime strewing the road with captured quartermaster and commissary stores.
From Civil War Sites in Oklahoma by Muriel H. Wright and LeRoy H. Fischer